Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Long, Hot Shower

Who doesn't love long, hot showers? I sure do, but in the spirit of saving money and being a little more earth friendly, I decided it's going to be one of the things I work on.

Now, I have no idea what the average person's shower length is. I know I could easily stand in a hot shower for 20-30 minutes. That's a lot of heated water.

The first thing I did was to get a low-flow showerhead, which saved a lot of water. Still has a nice water pressure and was an easy transition.

Next, it was cutting down my time. I started keeping track of how long I was in the shower. Yikes! It was long. I really only need to wash, shampoo and shave and then hop out. So I've come up with 5 minutes as my shower time.

I have a little timer on the sink and set it for 5 minutes. Most times I do what I have to and am out before it rings, and some days...I don't quite make it out on time.

The point is not really to deny myself a nice long shower. It's to save money and water and to know that when I really DO need a long, hot shower, I won't feel bad about it.

It's a little (and easy) thing to do to save yourself some money and water.

No comments: