Sunday, May 25, 2008

My good friend, Bon Ami


In my search for earth friendly, nontoxic cleaners, I've tried a bunch. Pretty much all of them I have liked and they've been effective (except for the Seventh Generation toilet bowl cleaner- not so much).

I've even made some home-made cleaners that work pretty well, too, but I especially needed something like Comet for tub and shower scrubbing.

I found Mrs. Meyer's Surface Scrub (in Lemon Verbena scent) and loved it! But...it ranges from $4-$5 for an 11 ounce can. Yikes.
Green is great, but it's even better when it's cheap. I did a little research and found good old Bon Ami! My mom used to use it on our glass cooktop stove when we were kids. It has non-toxic ingredients, works well and is about a buck a can. Jackpot!

Lesson learned: sometimes there are good oldies out there that were "environmental" way back when.

No comments: