Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Biodegradable trash bags

In the past year, we've really reduced our waste by composting, recycling, and making purchases that don't have excessive or non-recyclable packaging. I'd like to say we were like the writer for BBC News that tried her best not to buy ANYTHING plastic or packaged in plastic for a month...it's much harder to do than you think! But, in reality, we do still have some trash that can't be recycled. We've always used the generic white kitchen trash bags, so I thought I'd look into biodegradable trash bags.

First, I found biobag dog waste bags. They're around $5-6 for a box of 50. Kind of expensive, but I didn't want to put something biodegradable like dog poop in a plastic bag that wouldn't biodegrade. So I lucked out and bought some from drugstore.com when they had a sale. I'm pretty happy with them. I thought about the biobag trash bags, but it seemed pointless when the stuff in the kitchen trash is stuff that won't biodegrade anyway...so I bagged the idea (ha ha).

And then, when I was cleaning out the litter box (into a white trash bag), it occurred to me that I could use the biobags for this job. We use feline pine litter (love it!) and we have a fair amount of used litter each week, so I bought some kitchen sized biobags for the job. It makes sense since the pine litter will biodegrade. Overall, I am pretty happy with them, with the exception of their expense (again, wait for the sales) and they can puncture more easily than regular bags.

Hopefully these kinds of trash bags will catch on and eventually cost less, but in the meantime we'll continue to use them for our pet clean-ups. Do any of you have tips when it comes to biodegradable bags, or know of any other good brands?

2 comments:

CJStewart said...

My mom did some sort of composting thing for her dogs' poo. She got a trash can (the size depends on the number and size of your dogs) and dug a hole deep enough to sink the entire trash can with only the lid above ground. After punching some holes in the trash can, she put it in the ground. She just puts the poo in there with some septic tank enzymes (I think it's septic tank enzymes) and there's no smell.

Jerry said...

I was just thinking that maybe a paper bag is another way option for your dog's poo. It's biodegradable and fairly inexpensive. It's insurance for the environment AND your wallet. Not too shabby, huh? I don't know what the other materials are but I think the paper bags are coming back into "eco-fashion". I hope it leads to better options for dog owners.
Jerry
www.leads4insurance.com