Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Eat locally!

If you've been reading my posts, you know I love going to my local farmer's market. Another way we support local agriculture is by going to Broom's Bloom Dairy. Just down the road from us is this dairy that makes their own ice cream, cheeses and other dairy products. They also have a little cafe that serves quiches and sandwiches and soup.

So far we've only sampled the ice cream...and it was good. I am picky about my black raspberry ice cream and I have to say theirs may be the best I've tasted.

I've been more interested in eating locally since I started reading a few books: "Plenty" and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", both about trying to eat locally to support farmers and reduce pollution created in the transport of food.
I started reading "Plenty", a couple in Canada who try to eat food from a 100 mile radius of their home. The writing style just didn't catch my interest...only read about the first chapter and a half. Not that it was a bad book, just not for me.

Now I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and I like it a lot so far. She's the author who wrote "The Poisonwood Bible", so I knew I liked her writing style and she and her family started to run a farm in Virginia.
I think this was a little more accessible to me because it was a family as opposed to a couple and they were in an area closer to my home than Canada. Not too far into this book, but I'll let you know how I like it when I finish.

In the meantime, check out your own options for eating locally!

No comments: