Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Recycling CFL bulbs at Home Depot

One of the first thing I did to save energy and money was to switch over to CFL bulbs. I was skeptical because years ago, when dating my husband, he had an apartment with those bulbs that the landlord said had to be used. They saved money, but eww...they gave off a purply light that was just horrible.

Today's CFL's are great though. The light looks like any other bulb's light. They take a minute or so to warm up to their full power, but I've gotten used to that. The only drawback I see to these bulbs is the disposal of them. Since they have a small amount of mercury in them, it's important to dispose of them safely for people and the environment.

Today's New York Times reports that Home Depot is now accepting bulbs for recycling. And, according to the NYT, 75% of homes in the US are within 10 miles of a Home Depot, so disposal of these bulbs should be easy for most people. Thanks, Home Depot!


No comments: