Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Searching for a natural shampoo

I mentioned a few posts back that I was excited to get some "organic" and "natural" shampoo. I didn't read the ingredient list because the brand name was Nature's Gate Organics. Surprise! Small print reads: made with certified organic botanticals. Well, that's true, but besides the organic ingredients there were some other things including methylparaben and propylparaben. While there are reports that say parabens are ok , there are also some that question their safety. My take on it is that if I can avoid them, I might as well. Better safe than sorry.

The lesson I learned is that a company can put organic on the bottle if it has just a couple organic ingredients and who knows what the rest is. So from now on I'll be reading the labels much more closely.

So I'm looking for some gentle, natural shampoos. Even something seemingly friendly as Suave has Methylisothiazolinone in it which seems pretty yucky- NIH (National Institute of Health) uses the words toxic more than once in their evaluation of it on the National Library of Medicine's Toxnet site.

Has anyone has any luck with shampoos that are nice and natural? I want to find something that isn't so chemical. Please post if you have any suggestions!

6 comments:

Alissa said...

Hmmm...not sure if this will be helpful or not - I've tried a few. Some I've hated, some have been okay, and some I've liked. I bought some by Avalon Organics, which I hated and returned - my hair was greasier after I washed it than it was before I washed it. :) Burt's Bees I loved, but the price was getting out of reach. Also, they were bought out by Clorox, so I wasn't sure how I felt about supporting them any more. There's a Canadian one called Green Beaver. I liked that it was local, and fairly inexpensive, it smelled delicious, and it seemed to work fine, but my husband wasn't a huge fan. Right now we're trying out some by JASON, which I'm really liking so far. The shampoo and conditioner are nice and thick, so a little really goes a long way. I also found it to be the most inexpensive of all of the ones I've tried, and it comes in a pretty big bottle. I'm still adjusting to the fact that natural shampoos just don't lather like the chemical ones do. So it's like comparing apples and oranges, I guess. They're definitely growing on me though, and when I smell regular shampoo it smells so strong and harsh. So I'm definitely sticking with the natural stuff, but I haven't settled on a particular brand yet. :) Let us know how you make out!

Nancy said...

I use Kiss My Face shampoo and I really like it and its safe. However, its very expensive! $8 a bottle. With a newborn, I just don't think I can justify spending that much on shampoo anymore. I looked on the cosmetic database (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1) and did some research on shampoos. Suave and V05 are in my price range and rank "moderately risky". I may have to bite the bullet and go back to these brands. I hate having to choose between being healthy and cost. But I'd rather spend more money on what goes in my body (ie organic food) than what goes on my body. I wish they had safe shampoo for under $2!!!

Christine said...

Well, I had a credit at drugstore.com so I ordered one bottle of Jason and one bottle of Kiss My Face. I'll let you all know how I like them!

Alice Berger said...

I can relate to your disappointment - I also bought Nature's Gate thinking it would be good for me. I'm currently using a Jason shampoo, and I like it. I'm not sure if it's got any nasty ingredients, but I tried to find something at least a little less harsh without breaking the bank.

Alice

Spot-On said...

I went no-poo for the last month and am using Dr Bronners liquid soap. I will have a full review in a day or two, but the result so far is I am not going back!

Anonymous said...

Go here http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1 and enter the name of any skin care product and it will be rated on its toxicity and cancer causing properties.I never buy anything anymore without checking it out with skin deep first.I also no-poo and am very happy with the results,the key is to mix 1 cup hot water with 1 teaspoon baking soda,leave in your hair for 1 minute and then rinse really,really well.Good luck!