Sunday, June 8, 2008

Healthy Make-up update

So you know way back when I bought healthier makeup? I think it's really important to investigate the safety of products you use...so often we assume if it is made by a factory and packed up nicely that it's safe. This is not always true.

From the FDA's website:

Does FDA approve cosmetics before they go on the market?
FDA's legal authority over cosmetics is different from other products regulated by the agency, such as drugs, biologics, and medical devices. Cosmetic products and ingredients are not subject to FDA premarket approval authority, with the exception of color additives. However, FDA may pursue enforcement action against violative products, or against firms or individuals who violate the law.


Who is responsible for substantiating the safety of cosmetics?
Cosmetic firms are responsible for substantiating the safety
of their products and ingredients before marketing.


Those statements don't sound like a ringing endorsement of safety to me. So I looked for and found safer cosmetics. I finally got around to trying out the mascara (gives you an idea how often I wear mascara!). It was great! (side note: I don't do any advertising or money making stuff on my blog- it's just my honest opinions about the products.)

Just like the eyeliner, it's made by Honeybee Gardens. To me, there was no difference between that and any other eyeliner I've used. Went on easily, looked good and didn't smudge. A winner! Although I still yearn for some of the more fancy nvey eco makeup, I think I have good products for my needs.


I also have liked using the ecotints lipstick. It looks good and I am so glad I am using it after reading about the lead in many lipsticks available at your local drugstore...we're talking big brand names here. Check out this article at the daily green (a great resource site) about lead found in very popular and common lipsticks. Ewww...

So there's my review of the natural makeup I've tried. Considering this stuff goes right on your face (and at sometimes in your eyes and mouth), I think it's important to use safe products.

No comments: