Monday, August 18, 2008

Recycling Juice Pouches and more!

I was pleasantly surprised to find out there are ways to recycle two items I previously thought had to go in the trash: cookie package wrappers and juice pouches.

Terracycle has a program where you send them your empty drink pouches (without straws and not torn) from Capri Sun or Honest Kids they will donate 2 cents per pouch to a charity of your choice. Any other brand of pouch, they'll donate 1 cent. You send them in a prepaid mailing pouch (the only drawback is you have to drop it at a UPS store or drop box).

You can do the same with Chips Ahoy or Oreo cookie wrappers.

Terracycle makes new products from these things. Looks like a win-win situation...less trash in a landfill, money goes to a charity and Terracycle continues to make and sell recycled items.

While we don't drink from drink pouches very often, I do buy them on the rare occasion (Honest Kids juice pouches just happened to be on sale this week!). So it may take me a while to get the 100 pouches needed to mail in the envelope, but that's ok. Now cookies, on the other hand...my boys LOVE their cookies. In an ideal world, I'd make homemade cookies but that's not happening any time soon. I do buy both Chips Ahoy and Oreos for them, so I know that envelope will be filled faster (it only has to have 50 wrappers).

This whole program was exciting to me and I've signed up for it. Have any of you participated in this?

No comments: